Friday, July 4, 2008

Day Nine - Fort Nelson

Well today was our first day of heading south! We started off in Watson Lake, Yukon where we packed up the truck in the rain :( Dad keeps telling people that the rain held off while we packed up - in reality is lessened but did not stop! By the time the truck was packed I was soaked! As our campsite had showers I made the decision to shower after packing - this is only noteworthy when I tell you that I kept out some clothing but the rest was packed at the cab-end of the truck bed...this wondering why I'm saying this? Well I didn't keep out a BRA!! Yup - it was either unpack the truck (in the rain) or go bra less for the day! I really do envy people who are members of the itti-bitti-titti club!!! Even worse? I dropped my underwear on the floor of an outhouse at the hot spring (info to follow) and had to go totally commando for most of the day - not a comfortable ride!!!

After a quick breakfast and a lot of coffee for dad we were off! The great part was that the ladies at the info centre had given us a sheet of all the highlights from Watson Lake to Fort Nelson...including cheap gas. The gas at this secret location (secret only because I cannot remember the name) was ten cents/liter cheaper than our fill-up in Dease Lake (159.9:169.9/liter). We were also warned that we would see a lot of wildlife on the road. They were right!! The first warned we got was related to the population of Wood Bison that live along the Alaska Highway from Watson Lake to Muncho Lake Prov Park in BC. It was a good thing we got the warning as we ended up seeing more than 50 Bison - it was like being in Elk Island National Park near Edmonton!

Initially we would see one of two on the side of the road and it was great when we reached a Bison count of 13! Then we turned a corner and saw a group of about 34 Bison hangin' out in the rain. There was an incredible large bull (see right) and a number of calves. It was just a really cool sight! Of course they all looked a little miserable as they were hanging around in a major down pour!

While I was excited to see the Bison I was on the hunt for other wildlife - preferable a large moose or more bears! We were rewarded with two different bears but no moose. The first bear was a lovely black bear not far from the Liard Hot springs Provincial Park - a little sobering but in no way a deterrent from soaking in the hot springs!

The hot springs were a feature of the trip that we've really been looking forward to! In part so that we could taunt mom but after the last two days it would be a time to relax in warmth when you really didn't care that it was raining!

The park is split into two different pool - alpha and beta. We tried out both of the pools - the first one was shallower and it gets progressively hotter (alpha) and the second pool was a deeper one (3 meters) and really warm. I could have hung out in it for hours, all I needed was a glass of wine and good book! I figure that mom and I would be able to hang out and swim in the deep pool for a long time! I would need to stay in the park though as I wouldn't be able to drive!

Dad loved to pools but it was difficult for him to be in some sections of the pool as the water was deep. In the picture on the left he is in the alpha pool sitting on a bench in the middle of the pool. You can see the ripples created by the rain - not that we cared as it was nice to have a cool face and a warm body. The only real down side was the unbelievable stench of rotten eggs...nothing I've ever smelled (including Cam's exam gas) was a bad as the smell if the wind was in the wrong direction.

I would totally recommend this park to anyone who likes water in general and hot springs in particular. The setting is wonderful - the beta pool was my fav as it was deep and did not have as many people (or children) in it!

After leaving the park we stopped for a quick bite to eat at the restaurant across the street from the park. If you have a lot of time and don't mind paying Banff like prices for adequate food it's not a bad bet. If you aren't starving and can last an hour or two, do so! The cafe was staffed with what I can only guess were the kids of the owners and I'm not sure the girls were 12! They did a great job of handling customers but were a little thrown by some of the people who didn't speak English so well or when the cafe filled up!

After lunch we continued heading south to Fort Nelson. Along the way we saw some amazing mountains, huge gravel flood plains, and another bear. This one was coloured like a grizzly but without the hump...Dad thought that it was a rock! He laughed at me when I stopped and backed up along the highway (no traffic) to double check! Sure enough the "rock" had fur and it was a cinnamon coloured black bear!!

I'm sure there is more to tell but it is almost 1:00 am and we're heading out early tomorrow morning! Thankfully we're in a motel tonight! Tomorrow we're off to Fort St. John to visit the family! After that we'll be moving on to Prince George and then back to the island. I don't know if I'll be able to up-date our adventure tomorrow but keep tuned as I'm sure there will be many more highlights before we get home!

1 comment:

The other half said...

Hello Folks - great post! My name is Tyler Mattheis and I'm the Community Development Officer in Fort Nelson. Some of your pictures are GREAT! If its not too much trouble, I would greatly appreciate it if you would load some of your great photos onto our tourism website: http://www.tourismnorthernrockies.ca/gallery.php?action=upload

Glad that you had a good time in our part of the world

Regards,
Tyler