Friday, July 4, 2008

Day Seven - Kinaskan Lake Provincial Park

We left the beautiful town of Stewart on July 2 - I was excited to be moving on but sad that I was leaving the wonderful shower of the Rainy Creek Campsite!! The trip out was even more amazing than the drive in as the sun was just as shinning and I wasn't as tired! As we left town we were stopped for construction and those of you who know my father will understand the irony of the next statement...as we were moving through the active construction zone my dad demanded that I stop the truck so that he could take a picture!!! After picking up my lower jaw and saying "no", I asked him what his reaction would have been if a tourist had stopped in the middle of an active construction zone...His answer? "I would tell them to F#$!ing move on!!!" He followed it up with a "I'm retired now so I don't have to follow the same rules!"



We skipped stopping at Mezadian Provincial Park and moved onto Kinaskan Provincial Park. As you can see from the picture - I enjoyed arriving at the lake in early afternoon. We did try a little fishing at the lake and river but did catch anything. The bugs at this lake were the worst we had seen but they were nothing compared to what would be coming our way!!

The drive up to the park did not contain any major wildlife viewings - we saw a Marmot on the highway from Stewart to Mezadian Junction. Other than that we just saw a lot of Ravens.


This is a really lovely park and great campground. The lake is stunning but very cold - if I was with someone else who swam I might have braved the water but I wasn't too upset not to try! I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay - they even had a book exchange!

There is a second lake within this park but we decided not to try the hike in until tomorrow - before we head north to the Dease Lake area.

No comments: